(and make me smile)
Recently, Cheney Meaghan tagged me and a few others with a call to share 40 things we love. I’m game so here goes.
1. My wife. She really is my dream come true. She makes me laugh, makes my heart smile, and is up for anything. I love her typical outfit: jeans and a t-shirt with her hair in a ponytail under a baseball hat.
2. My son. He’s 11. Sometimes we have “boys night”, where we like to get together, make popcorn and watch our favorite TV shows on netflix.
3. My daughter. She’s 5 and likes to do “yoga” poses together. This means she climbs onto my shoulders like I’m a jungle gym.
4. My three Shih Tzu dogs: Izzy “Monster”, Maddie “Pie” and Cody “Boy”.
5. The Heart and Soul Animal Sanctuary near Sante Fe, New Mexico. I was working an internship in Albuqurque and found this by chance. I cannot recommend visiting it enough. Its an amazing place and the woman that runs it, Natalie, is one of the kindest people I have ever met.
6. Arduino projects.
7. Listening to the Blues (especially Lightnin’ Hopkins and James Cotton)
8. Country music. My roommate in college converted me. I like George Strait but also, Miranda Lambert and Billy Currington.
9. Campfires and s’mores. I was a Boy Scout as a kid, and now go with my son to his Cub Scout campouts. I always loved the campfire.
10. Carving pumpkins. My son and I used to enter the pumpkin carving contest every year. I always try to do one of the fancy ones you see in the books, and mostly, it never seems to come out like the picture, but we have fun.
11. My fellow Medium writers. I’ve only been here a few months, but I feel more accepted here than almost anywhere else. I feel like I can pour out my heart and share my soul and people will still accept me. Thank you all so much for that.
12. Vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles. When I was a kid, we used to go to a place called “The Conery” in the summer that served soft serve ice cream with sprinkles.
13. Playing the music loud in my car to drown out the noise in my head.